The Wine Diva kicks things off with two great Holiday lists. We talk to Warwick Ross who produced and directed Red Obsession..a beautiful documentary about Gran Cru Bordeaux wines and the Chinese fixation with them. Then it’s a swing through the Okanagan. Featured are The Cipes of Summerhill, The Luckhursts of Road 13 and Matt Sekeres of Team 1040
Daenna van Mulligen – The Wine Diva is wrapping up 2013 with a flurry of lists. www.winediva.ca This episode features the first two bottles of the 12 days of Christmas. Then its Wine for Holiday Dinners.. No matter what you’re eating..protein, vegetarian, vegan, goth, Mediterranean or whatever The Diva has the perfect pairing partner for you. Check out the Master List below or go to her Holiday website www.winediva.ca
- Yue Sai Kan – Self-made billionaire, TV host, cosmetic tycoon
- Peter Tseng – World’s largest manufacturer of sex toys
- Richard Shen – Owner of Tesiro Jewelry
- Francis Ford Coppola – Film director & owner, Inglenook
- Michael Parkinson – British Broadcaster
- Robert Parker – Leading international wine critic
- Jancis Robinson – Leading international wine writer and Master of Wine
- Oz Clarke – Leading international wine writer
Now we’re headed for two stories in The Okanagan The Family Cipes.
I met Stephen Cipes and 3 of his four sons Gabe, Ezra and Ari as they passed through Vancouver. They had much to talk about.. Summerhill Pyramid Winery’s Cipes Rose received a gold medal and was named as a top world wine at the Effervescents du Monde, judged in France Nov. 13 to 15. It was the only North American sparkling wine to place in the international competition. This is a great round table discussion between a founding winery Father and the Sons he passed his winery on to. www.summerhill.bc.caI love talking to Pam and Mick Luckhurst of Road 13, just South of Oliver on the Golden Mile.
Golden Mile Cellars was acquired by the Luckhurst Family in the fall of 2003. Along with a great team and winemakers Michael Bartier and now JM Bouchard, they have created a go-to destination and very popular wines. Just like the Cipes, Mick and Pam are now working alongside their son Joe! Also.. in a business that likes to talk without actually saying anything..the Luckhursts give straight up answers..with NO BS. Gotta love that.
Matthew Sekeres began a new chapter in his broadcast career as co-host of the all new Sekeres & Price Midday Show on TEAM 1040. Formerly the The Globe and Mail’s national sports correspondent in Vancouver.
Matt was born in Montreal and raised primarily in Ottawa, Matt has worked for three dailies and for TSN, covering Stanley Cup playoffs, Super Bowls, Olympic Games, Grey Cups and NBA Finals. He moved to Kitsilano, Canada’s best neighbourhood, in 2007, and enjoys travelling, music, entertaining and scuba diving in his spare time. He admits to knowing almost nothing about wine..but is very comfortable around beer and great food.
His comments to me about the day he was on air when the Boston Marathon bombings took place are revealing and heartfelt.
He’s OK with drinking Pink.
He’s OK with being labeled as a “swashbuckler” by his broadcast partner Blake Price.
He OK with his Mother implying he can sometimes be a “loudmouth”. His Mom understood when Matt explains he gets PAID to be a loudmouth.
And finally..Matt Sekeres is the first person in 6 years of Tasting Room Radio to recommend a wine that cannot be found by Google Search.
Please join us for the first of several ‘inside Team” interviews. We start with Matt Sekeres…
That’s MATT with two T’s – SE-KE-RE-S
STORIES WE’RE WORKING ON:
- Ethan Hawke – Actor. Director. Food and Wine Fan
- Chefs David Hawksworth & Suzanne Goin – talk food, books and …food!!
- Nicolo D’Afflito from Frescobaldi
- Stefano Chiarlo at the PALAS Cerequio La Morra in Barolo Jorge Riccitelli – (Norton) World Winemaker of the year 2012
- Alberto Antonini and David Scholefield compare their 2011 Haywire wines to the new 2012’s. It appears the Okanagan is growing UP!!