Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Alexander Payne – The Oscar winning director of Sideways, The Descendants and Nebraska, opening this weekend.
His leading lady – Will Forte from Saturday Night Live.
The Wine Diva previews the first 50 selections from her Top 100 Wines under $20.00 for 2013. Part One
Carlo Mondavi..Surfer/snowboarder explains how The family lost an Empire and gained a single brilliant wine.
Rocker Sam Roberts explains his love of wine.
Carlo Mondavi’s Grandfather was the wine legend Robert Mondavi.
There’s no class anywhere that can teach what Robert taught Carlo.
Being around wine was just part of Carlo’s growing years.
Then came the fateful day when the Mondavi Family lost their winery to a corporate Giant.
They immediately started planning their future. Making a single World Class wine..on a single piece of land.
That wine is Continuum Estate . It’s a brilliant blend of Cab/Cab Franc/Petit Verdot and Merlot.
Carlo fills us in on how it all went down.
The Sam Roberts Band is about to release their next Album Lo-Fantasy Feb 11.
We’ll deal with that fact on Saturdays Mulligan Stew.
Sam Roberts is a huge wine fan.
When Jason Priestley and I were shooting HollywoodandVinesTV in Ribera del Duero Spain,
We were deep into the Neo cellar and we find a barrel signed by Sam Roberts.
I’ve been waiting 5 years to ask him..how that barrel came to be.
Sams parents moved from South Africa to Montreal where Sam was born months later.
He attended McGill and then hustled the music scene through various bands until he found the right song and the right band.
The song was Brother Down and the band became The Sam Roberts Band.
This was fun!!
Alexander Payne is a one-of-a-kind screenwriter and director.
The list of films he’s given us should tell you everything you need to know about his taste and smarts.
- Election – Oscar Nomination for Screenplay. Starred Mathew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon.
- About Schmidt – Jack Nicholson
- Sideways – The best film ever made about wine
- The Descendants – Won an Oscar for Screenplay. Starred George Clooney.
His latest film Nebraska comes out Nov 29th in BC, December 13th in Alberta.
Its shot in black and white and stars Bruce Dern as grumpy old guy who refuses to believe that a form letter saying he may have won a Million Dollars is not real.
Will Forte from Saturday Night Live plays his son who travels with his Father to watch over him.
It’s certainly going to be nominated for Oscars this year.
Alexander Payne and Will forte guest on this week’s show
Listen to interviews here:
Looking to stock up for the Holidays?
Looking for wine to gift?
The Wine Diva returns with a timely list.
It’s her Annual Top 100 wines (plus 13) Under $20.00
We’ll try to talk about as many of the first 50 as is possible.
The complete list can be found at
- Luigi Bosca Malbec, Mendoza Argentina
- Louis.M.Martini Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma County California
- Hess Select Chardonnay, Monterey California
- CanTinian Malbec, Mendoza Argentina
- Gray Monk Riesling, Okanagan Valley BC
- Quinta do Ameal Branco Seco Vinho Verde, Portugal
- Santa Rita Reserva Pinot Noir, Cassablanca Chile
- Kangarilla Road ‘Hellbent’ South Australia
- De Martino ‘Nuevo Mundo’ Cabernet Sauvignon~Malbec Reserva, Maipo Valley Chile
- Cono Sur Organic Pinot Noir, Colchagua Valley Chile
- Domaine Zinck Pinot Blanc, Alsace France
- Navarro Lopez Rojo Granrojo Tempranillo, Castilla Spain
- La Posta ‘Cocina’ Tinto, Mendoza Argentina
- Kaiken Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva, Mendoza
- Masi Masianco Delle Venezie, Italy
- Loma Larca ‘Lomas del Valle’ Pinot Noir, Casablanca Chile
- Santa Cristina Toscana, Tuscany Italy
- DeAngelis Prato Grande Chardonnay, Marche Italy
- Norton Reserva Malbec, Mendoza Argentina
- Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon, South Australia
- Peter Lehmann ‘Layers’, Barossa Valley Australia
- Pascual Toso Cabernet Sauvignon, Mendoza Argentina
- Chateau de Nages ‘Buti Nages’, Costieres de Nimes, Rhone France
- Quarisa ’30 Mile’ Shiraz, Australia
- Wirra Wirra ‘Scrubby Rise Red’ Adelaide South Australia
- La Poderosa Reserva Syrah, Chile
- Township 7 Sauvignon Blanc, Okanagan Valley BC
- Bartier Bros. ‘Lone Pine Vineyard’ Gewurztraminer, Okanagan Valley BC
- Castillo de Monseran Garnacha, Carinena Spain
- Santa Rita Reserva Sauvignon Blanc Casablanca Valley Chile
- Bartier~Scholefield Rose, Okangan Valley BC
- Castillo de Malunda ‘Punto Y Coma’ Garnacha Vinas Viejas, Calatayud Spain
- Wente ‘Morning Fog’ Chardonnay, Livermore Valley California
- Bodegas San Alejandro ‘Pablo’ Old Vine Garnacha, Calatayud Spain
- Dona Paula Estate Torrontes, Cafayate Salta
- Chateau D’Angles ‘La Clape Classique Blanc’, Languedoc France
- Domaine Bousquet Malbec, Tupungato, Mendoza Argentina
- Louis Latour ‘Ardeche’ Chardonnay, Coteaux de l’Ardeche France
- Santa Carolina Sauvignon Blanc Reserva, Leyda Chile
- Vina Las Perdices Cabernet Sauvignon, Mendoza Argentina
- Tormaresca ‘Paiara’, Puglia Italy
- Gunderloch’ Fritz’s’ Riesling, Rheinhessen Germany
- Harper’s Trail ‘ Silver Mane Block’ Riesling, British Columbia
- Purato Nero d’Avola, Sicily Italy
- Nathalie Bonhomme ‘el petit bonhomme blanco’, Rueda Spain
- Sperling Vineyards ‘The Market White’, Okanagan Valley BC
- Dominio del Plata ‘Crios’ Torrontes, Argentina
- Edna Valley Vineyard Chardonnay ‘Paragon’, San Luis Obisbo County California
- Chateau de Jau ‘Le Jaja de Jau’ Syrah, Pays D’Oc France
- Poplar Grove Pinot Gris, Okanagan Valley BC
STORIES WE’RE WORKING ON:
- Bistro Seventeen 89. Seafood and wine pairings
- Brian Skinner (The Acorn)– BC Gold Medal Plates Champion.
- Wine Diva – Top 100 under $20 Part Tw0
- Chefs David Hawksworth and Suzanne Goin (AOC Cookbook) in a roundtable discussion.
- A Return to La Morra. Piedmont Italy
- Beppi Crosariol and Lucy Waverman from The Globe and Mail. Great new Book!!
- Jorge Riccitelli. Winemaker at Norton. Mendoza Argentina
- Frank Giustra creates world class olive oil !!