The British Open takes place this weekend. Our first guest is golfing legend Dick Zokol, Director of Golf Operations at BC’s Predator Ridge. Right in the middle of BC wine country Daenna van Mulligen – The Wine Diva – has part 2 of her Summer BBQ wines. Jim Cuddy (Jim Cuddy band/Blue Rodeo) returns to the show. Talking his wild summer and Ontario wines. Spencer Massey the man behind the wonderful wines of Clos du Soleil And we finish with the one and only Vikram Vij..we find the celebrated West Coast chef..working the streets in front of his new food truck.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Dick Zokol It’s the weekend of the British Open and we wanted a golfer to kick off the show. Not just any golfer. We loved the idea of asking Dick Zokol. Canadian golfing legend and director of Golf at BC’s Predator Ridge..located in BC’s wine country.
Yes, we talk golf, the Brit Open and even Tiger’s game. Oh yeah..we do talk local wines. http://www.predatorridge.com/
Are you looking for new wine? Are you looking for wines that have been tasted by The Wine Diva and approved for pairing with anything you BBQ this Summer? Its Part Two of her latest list and As always, Daenna van Mulligen brings The Wine Diva with her.
Daenna Van Mulligen
21. Frescobaldi ‘Pietraregia dell’Ammiraglia’ Riserva Morellino di Scansano Italy, 2008 – (BC – $27.99 )
22. Fuse Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley California, 2009 – (BC – $39.99 )
23. Graham Beck ‘The Game Reserve’ Cabernet Sauvignon, Robertson South Africa, 2009 – (BC – $19.99 )
24. Maggio Family Vineyards Petite Sirah, Lodi California, 2009 – (BC – $18.99 )
25. Masi Campofiorin Rosso del Veronese, Veneto Italy, 2008 – (BC – $19.99 )
26. Nederburg ‘Winemaster’s Reserve’ Shiraz, Western Cape South Africa, 2009 – (BC – $12.99 )
27. Quails’ Gate Merlot, Okanagan Valley, 2009 – (BC – $24.99 ; Winery – $24.99 )
28. Rodney Strong ‘Knotty Vines’ Zinfandel, Northern Sonoma California, 2009 – (AB – $16.00 + price will vary; BC – $23.99 ; ON – $22.95 ; Yukon – $25.90 )
29. Roodeberg Western Cape South Africa, 2010 – (BC – $11.99 )
30. Sandhill Cabernet~Merlot, Okanagan Valley BC, 2009 – (BC – $19.99 )
31. Santa Rita Reserva Cabernet Sauvignon, Maipo Valley Chile, 2008 – (BC – $15.99 ; AB – $12.00 + price will vary; ON – $13.95 ; Widely Available – $13.00 to $16 across Canada)
32. Secco~Bertani Ripasso Valpolicella Valpantena, Veneto Italy, 2009 – (BC – $21.99 )
33. Skulls Shiraz, South Australia, 2008 – (BC – $19.99 )
34. Tenuta Guado Al Tasso ‘Il Bruciato’ DOC Bolgheri, Tuscany Italy, 2008 – (Quebec – $27.95 ; AB – $20.00 + price will vary; BC – $34.99 )
35. Terra Andina Carmenere~Syrah, Central Valle Chile, 2010 – (BC Private Wine Stores – $9.00 + price will vary; AB – $7.00 + price will vary)
36. Terre degli Svevi ‘Re Manfredi’ Aglianico del Vulture DOC Basiliicata Italy, 2007 – (BC – $19.99 )
37. The Grinder Pinotage, Western Cape South Africa, 2010 – (BC – $14.99 )
38. Tolaini Al Passo, Tuscany Italy, 2007 – (BC – $29.99 )
39. Tscharke Barossa Gold Shiraz, Barossa Valley Australia, 2010 – (BC – $19.99 )
40. Wine Men of Gotham Cabernet Sauvignon, South Australia, 2008 – (BC Private Wine Stores – $13.99 )
41. Wolf Blass Grey Label Shiraz~Cabernet, Robe Mount Benson Australia, 2009 – (BC Private Wine Stores – $37.00 + price will vary; ON – $34.95 )
Jim Cuddy Love that Jim Cuddy. Musician. Singer/Songwriter, Father, Hockey Player and wine drinker and collector. Blue Rodeo has just been inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. They’re touring the summer away. And so is The Jim Cuddy Band, Jim’s side project. (They’re at Interstellar Rodeo next weekend) As I said at the beginning. Love that Jim Cuddy. Love his music and Love talking to him. Enjoy!! www.bluerodeo.com www.jimcuddy.com
Clos du Soleil is a small artisan winery and estate vineyard on the South Similkameen Valley Upper Bench, one of the newest, most exciting emerging appellations in Canadian wine.
They produce premium quality wines in a Bordeaux style ! The Clos du Soleil team includes celebrated Canadian winemaker Ann Sperling and vineyard manager Jean-Felix Boulais, who have a passion for sustainable viticulture using both organic and biodynamic practices. Since its first yield in 2006, the limited-quantity Clos du Soleil wines continue to debut with startling accolades.
During his tasting and pouring visit to Vancouver we had a chance to sit and get the whole story from Team Leader Spencer massey. www.closdusoleil.ca
Vikram Vij and his street cart … and finally Vikram Vij works the streets of Vancouver.
He’s one of the most successful culinary personalities in Canada and yet he’s working the front of house at his new food truck on Georgia Street. Wait till you hear the man work the streets. The truck is called Vij’s Railway Express. It features the food you find in India’s bustling railway Stations. Each week, it’ll be the food of another destination. One week Bombay, another Delhi and another might be Calcutta!! Sounds like fun right?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download